Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Why Bad Guys Should Win More Frequently

I've spent a great deal of time lately watching Netflix. If you're reading this now, I would safely assume that you know what netflix is, but in case you don't, I'll break it down: Netflix is a service that uses the internet to "stream" video into your tv. It draws from a vast collection of titles, mostly comprised of movies and television shows. This has allowed me to relive my younger days; they have "dumb and dumber," a multitude of marvel cartoons, and a shit ton of television shows that I like.


Seriously, netflix is pretty tight

This service has had me watching a lot of movies lately, and I've noticed a (pretty obvious) trend: all these movies end the same way. Movies almost always play out in a similar fashion; the characters are introduced, they encounter a problem, and through the miracle of science/religion/fucking magic, they solve that problem. Almost never is there a struggle to attain their goal. I mean, sure, it seems like one, but let's look at Transformers for a minute. Now, to you and I, it seems like there is plenty of "struggle" going on; there's an explosion every 43 seconds (thank you, Michael Bay). Now, for characters like Shia LaBeof and Megan Fox, these scenes create tension, and real danger. No one stops to think about the "main" characters in the movie, though: those being the transformers themselves. I realize I've digressed a little bit, but stay with me here: explosions mean approximately jack shit to giant sentient hunks of metal. So really, it's a lot like the transformers are sandbagging it (including the bad ones, as they could probably just fry the humans with a thought), and, to me, this fails to create tension.

When I look to the past for examples, I look immediately to the star wars trilogy. Take either of them; new and old, try to guess which movie is the most popular. If you picked "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Attack of the Clones," then you guessed correctly. Similarities include:
-both were middle movies in their respective trilogy
-both focus on darker themes (Luke using anger to fight his father, giving in to fear, anakin using his anger in battle, slipping into the dark side)
-both end on a somber note (empire strikes back ends with darth vader getting away, solo frozen in carbonite, and Luke Skywalker missing a hand, while Attack of the Clones has Count Dooku getting away, Yoda talking about the clone war, and Palpatine's rise to Emperor)


Pictured: entertainment.

NONE OF THIS SHIT LEADS TO ANY GOOD (Unless, of course, you consider "my entertainment" good, and I do), but it made for some awesome movie making. I think this is because these are considered "bag guys win" films. Other films of this nature include: Arlington Road, se7en, or Reservoir Dogs. I think that what caused these movies to be great was the varied ending; people just don't expect the hero to lose nowadays. But why?

In real life, the "hero" we like to refer to is us. In the story of our lives, we are the heroes. But we don't win in every situation; well, not MOST of us anyways. So it doesn't make a ton of sense that in every movie, the hero wins. I understand the escapism, but I don't understand why it dominates 99% of the industry. Hollywood has been reviving dead franchises and remaking dull, unoriginal movies for years now, when the solution is obvious: quit making every movie end the same way.

I wanted to do this post in an essay format, but I'm definitely getting too bored to continue tonight. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment