Saturday, June 23, 2012

It's probably time for another post

Ok, haven't posted in awhile, I'm pretty bored at home, so I'll make a list of current observations:

1) I've been watching breaking bad again. It's interesting to me how, depending on a number of factors, one's opinion of characters can change drastically. For example, the first time I saw the first 3 seasons of breaking bad, I hated Jesse. I hated his corny dialogue, I didn't feel bad for him because of his shithead choices, and I just couldn't like him, no matter how badly the show wanted me to. But I watch it now, a little older, focusing during different points in the show, and I see him as a more complex character. Same thing with Walt; upon first viewing, Walt was my protagonist in the show. But when I watch it now, Walt is a bit more like an anti-hero; I am told to root for him, but I'm not really sure if I should. This show is kinda thought provoking.

2) Maybe I'm weird, but if I don't work for awhile, I find myself missing it. As soon as I am back, it's back to normal. For all that I complain about working (not my current job, just... ANY job, really), I get the feeling that I would die without it. Weird.

3) I got a random text from "god" the other night. Random texts are the best.





4) I miss social interaction with people outside of work, but I lack either the courage, or the motivation to be social. I feel like I walk along the razor's edge (Georgio Moroder) as far as generations go; I'm old enough to remember how to be social without technology, but I think I've become reliant. Sometimes I wish times were a bit more simplistic, and that there was no outlet for people like me. Then again, I wouldn't be typing this if that were true. How do people meet new people these days? The concept of new friends is so lost on me. I'm not complaining, I'm just confused about the whole thing. Oh well, perhaps I have enough old friends that I don't need to worry about the ones I haven't met yet...

5) This year has been a great year for movies. I feel a lot less let down recently, and my fears of a exceedingly bad hollywood future have been assuaged. Even the 21 Jump Street movie seemed to see itself for what it was, referencing its not-quite-accurate representation of the show, and the lightness of itself. Prometheus was fantastic, although a bit convoluted. First, the way that people (spoiler alert) become infected was too complex; I mean, in the movie, it happens, but the suspension of disbelief expected is a bit much. That said, I liked the movie quite a bit, though I thought it was a bit pretentious of Ridley Scott to come out swinging at audiences by assuring them that it WASN'T a prequel, it was just set in the same universe. If you've seen it, he is (to me) clearly appealing to fans of the Alien universe, and the movie's stinger makes it apparent. Lastly, I was thrilled with Marvel's Avengers, though I was a bit taken back by the path it chose. To do a sort of origin story for the Hollywood Avengers was interesting, and to (initially) ignore the infinity gauntlet seemed like box office suicide, but the stinger to it ALSO revealed one of my favorite characters in the marvel universe. I have high hopes for the sequel (which will most likely become a trilogy, or more).

So, that's what I have for right now. If you're reading this, thanks. Whoever you are, I'd be psyched to have some sort of discussion with you if you have a comment or suggestion about any of these topics. I think commenting is enabled, so, feel free!

No comments:

Post a Comment